5 Historical Attractions in Klang Valley

5 Historical Attractions in Klang Valley

1. Old Market Square (Medan Pasar)

 MedanPasar-1960http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-image31254296

This particular place is the birth of what we now know as the most populous city in Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur. It started out small when Chinese traders began to open up sundry shops in order to cater the needs of the miners that were on their way to their respective mining areas. This small town began to progress quickly under the leadership of the ever-famous Yap Ah Loy. The town was bustling because of its large market and gambling sheds. In the year 1882, Yap Ah Loy’s sweat and blood were demolished under the command of Frank Swettenham. However, the Chinese Captain was allowed to rebuild his market in exchange of dismantlement of his gambling sheds. The Government took over the place and relocated the market after his death, the place where the original market was at is now known as the Old Market Square, a significant landmark in Kuala Lumpur.

In addition to that, a clock tower was built in 1937 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI. It is located in the middle of a busy street. There isn’t much to do here unless you are interested in appreciating old unique looking shop lots that are considered antiques now.

2. Kuan Yin Temple

IMG_6511

This Kuan Yin Temple that is situated in Klang is one of the oldest temples throughout Malaysia. It was built back in the year 1892. The temple was in danger of being demolished a few years ago but the Sultan of Selangor became the saviour by declaring the temple as a state heritage building hence guaranteeing its preservation and existence till now. The temple has since then received a lot of donations from the public in order to bring in artisans from China to undergo restoration and renovation works. On the 4th day of Chinese New Year, believers will visit the temple to pray to the God of Education for their children to have excellent study skills and examination luck.

3. Raja Mahadi Fort

images

Raja Mahadi Fort is probably one of the most historical attractions that you can find in Klang, it was built during the Klang War by Raja Mahadi as a defensive barricade against his nemesis, Raja Abdullah. They were fighting over the control of the Klang district, it’s basically a tug-o-war of power. Raja Mahadi used the fort to spy on enemy ships that sailed through Pangkalan Batu. The battle lasted for 6 months and ended with the retreat of Raja Mahadi. Ever since the peaceful settlement, the fort was presented to the Klang Municipal Council Hall and now functions as a significant landmark in Klang.

4. Petaling Street

download

Also known as the Chinatown of Kuala Lumpur. It is filled with traditional Chinese delicacies like Hokkien-Mee, Wan Tan Mee, Beef Noodles and Chee Cheong Fun. Not only is it a paradise for food lovers, it’s also a heaven for shopaholics. The street is infamous for its cheap bootleg merchandises.

In 1870, a civil war was erupted between the Hokkien Ghee Hin and the Hakka Hai San. The British realized that the war is disturbing their economy thus decided to enter the war. As a result of the war, many buildings were destroyed and severely damaged. During the war, the tin mines were totally neglected as everyone was busy with the war. The neglect had caused the tin mines to be flooded and unworkable. Yap Ah Loy successfully persuaded the miners to stay in Kuala Lumpur by building a Tapioca Mill in Petaling Street. The flour produced from the mill are used to make noodles that look like pig intestines. Hence the Cantonese name for Petaling Street is Chee Cheong Gai (pig intestines street)

5. St. Mary’s Cathedral Church

st-mary-s-cathedral

Last but not least we have St. Mary’s Cathedral in our list. The church is also known as the Cathedral of St. Mary The Virgin. It is considered as an Anglican church and the oldest Anglican church you can find in Kuala Lumpur. It is located at the northern end of the Merdeka Square. The cathedral was designed by AC Norman and the pipe organ installed in the church was built in the year 1895 by Henry Willis. He is a famous English organ maker whom also made the organ for St. Paul’s Cathedral in London.